Thursday 15 January 2015

Feather moves on

Can you imagine Usain Bolt running with a tank bolted to his back? 
How about Mo Farah with a four bin bags? Or Jessica Ennis with enough clothing for a whole street? 

Too many of us are carrying baggage on our back that is too heavy for us to handle. Past experiences, past defeats, past challenges, past difficulties and past relationships, these are just some of the things that we allow to accumulate in our life and it affects how we live. 

As we go through life you may have the tendency to accumulate MORE! That need to accumulate something we don't already have. Be it a physical possession or a status symbol. But is there a price we have to pay for all that? 

If someone hurts you and changes your state to one of disarray, it is very easy to add that to your bag of bad experience and use that as a trigger to pull up that old memory and relive that moment. 

But why am I even talking about this whole thing? Well, it is because past baggage is something that affected me personally. I let things that happened in the past get the best out of me today and re-living the moments only made this present moment worse for me. Which is just cray! 

Detachment was the one of the things I tried and it seemed to have done the trick, as far as my life is concerned anyway. 

I was inspired to try detachment when I was listening to Wayne Dyer and he talked about walking away from his house, just leaving the whole thing for his manager to give away. He said 'find out the one thing you dearly love, and then just give it away'. 

For me that was my brand new laptop. It was dearer than anything I had and so I decided to give my laptop away to my sister. Hell did I know how painful that would be for a few weeks. I wasn't in denial but it definitely was a hard thing to get over. I soon discovered the benefit of not being too attached to things, and I went through my drawers and donated dozens of good pieces of clothing that I was never going to wear. Not only did it make me feel good about helping a charity but I also felt lighter. A lot lighter in fact. Soon enough my family caught on to the trend and we cleared up a quarter of our house just getting rid of things we no longer needed. Matter of fact, we're in the middle of a big clean up right now as I type this blog. 

Do you have things in your life that you gave away? Do you feel lighter afterwards? Is it just me? 
Comment below and let me know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment