Tuesday 12 March 2013

Portrait Marathon day 1

After all the ups and downs I had in my life. I decided it was time to go after my dream with all I have. Spend a year on my craft. Just one year to find out wether I am capable of doing what I want to do.

I've been fascinated with the landmark of faces ever since I started uni but because of the technicalities which you have to learn. I cant say i've enjoyed it as much as I wanted to. I do know this will change over time. And thats what this marathon is about. Do it so much that it becomes my second nature.

I'm out of university now and rather than going for a job in the industry. I'm going to take a chance to walk on my own path. It has not been the easiest of decision. Hard because I feel like my skills are very low in traditional drawing. I feel like a 3 year old when i'm drawing with a pencil. My pencil sketches are anything but impressive. I do realise that their are artist with a lifetime of experience over me.

The step for me was to get out of my comfort zone and not be content with where I was with my life. I always loved London city and would love to have a studio in the city one day. To be one step closer the city I looked for a studio as close to central as I could. I found a really nice place in Hackney full of creative people. Its only 10 minutes away from central and I get to see the beautiful city on my way, the Gerkin, Shards and the rest from my train everyday.

I have been here for just over a month and I feel like this is the right time to make a start. Its really now or never.

I want to be a portrait artist. A good one.

I'll be posting my results on Facebook (however bad) so I can get some feedback as I go along and so I can get some commissions of it.

I recently read The Alchemist and I truly believe in every page of that book. I've had enough beginners luck to give me a taste of what the good life is about but now I need to work for it. I do feel like we can become anything we want to be, we just have to believe in ourself.

By the end of this journey I just want to achieve one thing. Be a skilled portrait artist. The journey becomes much easier when you dig deeper and work out your goals, then its just a matter of watering the plant regularly and watching it grow.
I would also like to make enough money so I can afford a studio in Central one day.

I'm a very talkative person but right now I don't feel like talking to anyone. Until my brush strokes give me what I want, i'll continue to have sleepless nights. I have a dream and i'm going for it. If I drift this time, I know i'll regret it for the rest of my life.

Today I was working on the first phase of a logo design for a client and to my surprise she loved the logo and approved it over the phone. I did put enough effort in the logo and was going for the get it right the first time factor but wasn't expecting this response.

I feel good about this and to make it even better these guys jumped on the tube and started playing some live instruments. It was surreal and everyone loved it. I have a good feeling about this journey.

Sketch 1

Design through expression

No comments:

Post a Comment